Tuesday, January 17, 2012

RIP Grandpa

Over the holidays April's dad was diagnosed with cancer and passed away on Christmas morning.  It was all very surreal (and still is) but at least we had a chance to talk to him and say what we needed to say and listen to what he needed to say.  Luckily Parker had four-and-a-half years of harmonica playing, candy-sneaking, hide-and-seeking, and other great memories with Grandpa that hopefully he'll remember for a long time.  Here are some of our favourite photos from the last few years!  Grandpa loved his grand kids and I think it shows in all of these images.
 Visiting Parker after he was born in 2007.
 Parker gripping Grandpa's finger.  I remember Bill being surprised by the super crazy kung-fu grip Parker had!
 Surprising his dad on his 85th birthday in Montreal.  
 One of my favourite photos that I shot from Claire's wedding.
 Proud Grandpa with his grandson.
 Hugs!
 Teaching Parker how to play chess.
 April, Grandpa, and Abuelito.
 Playing harmonica for Parker while we stayed at a cottage in the summer.  Parker loved it when Grandpa played and would typically burst into a jig or shimmy of some sort.  Grandpa would even call at night after dinner just to play over the phone for him sometimes.
 Me and Grandpa and Parker at Christmas in 2009 I think!
 Lita, Parker, and Grandpa at Parker's first birthday party.
 April was telling me the other day that Grandpa loved to have quiet time in the morning with Parker when he was a baby!  I was like, "I don't remember that!" and she said, "You always slept in!"  Woops.  
 Hanging out with a gigantic baby!
I love this photo.  I was supposed to go to the Y to shoot an Olympic athlete giving a speech to a group of kids, but since I was home with Parker at the time I wasn't sure what to do with him.  So Grandpa said, "Bring him along and I'll watch him!"  So while I took photos, Parker and Grandpa goofed around at the side on the benches.
And then afterwards, Grandpa asked if Parker could have a chance holding a real Olympic torch, which was pretty awesome.  
 Photos from our wedding!  Seeing April for the first time in her dress.







 Giving Great Nana a kiss during Chrismas a few years ago.
 Holding baby Parker waaaay back in 2007!

 Grandpa loved the cottage and always wanted to take Parker fishing and boating.  He even bought Parker a little fishing rod!  Unfortunately Parker was only 2.  But he was still able to ride in the inflatable boat!
 Cheer up, Parker!  The water isn't that deep!
 Lita and Grandpa at the hospital when Lauren was born in 2010.
 I think this was a Thanksgiving a few years ago.  2008 maybe?
Christmas, playing with Kellen. 
 2007 again, holding a super gigantic baby wearing a Nana hat.

 Reading a book with Parker.
 Trying to figure out if all the presents were for Garrett or not.  I think they were.
 Playing with Lauren this past summer.
 Kisses for baby Lauren!

 Some quiet time with Lauren over Christmas in 2010.


 This photo cracks me up.  I have no idea what Parker and Grandpa are doing.  I think it involves roaring and tiger claws, though.
 Hugs for super tiny baby Lauren!
 Holding Lauren at the hospital after she was born.
 I actually found these photos in the archives when I was going through a bunch of old stuff.  They never made the blog the first time around, but I'm glad I found them because they're pretty awesome. 
 Grandpa used to wake up early with Parker and give him breakfast in the kitchen (See?  I didn't sleep in EVERY time because I was able to take these photos).  He'd always joke about how messy it was, and how Parker would get food all over Grandpa's hands and face but secretly he loved it.  In fact, he probably gladly offered to eat any sort of messy, already-chewed food Parker tried to feed him!

 Abuelito, Lauren, and Grandpa this past summer.

 From Thanksgiving.
 Another proud Grandpa photo!
 And another!
 And another!
 We have a lot of these.  :)
An awesome hat that fits comfortably on Grandpa's head. 

 Bill always said he wanted a big family photo, and he always asked me to do one but I never seemed to have the right stuff with me, or family members weren't there, or something would always come up and we wouldn't have a chance to do it.  So finally, I decided before we even left for Brockville this past Thanksgiving, that I'd bring my tripod (which I never use) and try to shoot a real family portrait.  Luckily everyone was there, the weather was awesome and we were able to get a few different versions of this photo.  
 The last photo I took of Grandpa, about 3 weeks before he passed away.  He was in a lot of pain but made the trip to Montreal for his mom's 90th birthday because family was so important to him.  I'm glad we were able to be there and take part in such an awesome surprise party for Great Nana and I'm glad I was able to get this photo (I only took about 15 photos total that night).  
He will be missed.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures - thank you for sharing all of these amazing memories with Grandpa...he will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a life my husband had - wonderfully filled with love from each of you. Each moment meant so much to him and each of you occupied such a special place in his heart. I know he's glad we're remembering him and thinking of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This man's love for his family is very apparent. I'm sorry you guys have to miss him, and that he is gone. Tears are running down my cheeks. he looks like he deeply loved his grandkids. My condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post Garrett! Brought tears to my eyes. I am so sorry for your family's loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos Garrett; it still seems so surreal to me too. I'm so glad you took the photos at Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete